WhatsApp has finally rolled out the feature to disable to the ‘Last Seen’ timestamp on Android smartphones. While this feature has been available for iPhones for long, Android users have got this option now only.
The new feature is not available via the WhatsApp app on Google Play Store as of now and you will have to do a bit of tweaking in Settings menu to get it. Here’s how you can disable the ‘Last Seen’ timestamp on Android:
1. Make sure that your smartphone is running on Android 2.1 or a newer version
2. Head to the Settings menu and enable ‘Download from Unknown Sources’ in the Security tab
3. Go to the WhatsApp website and download the APK (application) file available under www.whatsapp.com/Android/
4. Once the APK file is downloaded to your device, tap on it. It will show two options – ‘Package Installer’ and ‘Verify and Install’; select the first one
5. You will get a message saying that this application will make changes to WhatsApp; allow it to alter the app. All your WhatsApp data will be retained despite the changes
6. Now that WhatsApp has been updated, select Setting → Account → Privacy. You will see the ‘Last Seen’ option here, with three options – Everyone, My Contacts and Nobody. Select the one that suits you best
Remember, when you stop others from seeing your ‘Last Seen’ timestamp, you were not be able to see theirs either.
Under the Privacy menu, you will also see the options of restricting who can see your profile photo and status. This is a feature available only on WhatsApp and not on iPhones.
iPhone users who want to alter the ‘Last Seen’ settings can follow these simple steps:
1. Open WhatsApp and go to Chat Settings and select Advanced
2. Now turn toggle the ‘Last Seen Timestamp’ to ‘Off’
Once you change the Last Seen status on WhatsApp for iPhones, you will not be able to alter it again for the next 24 hours. On the other hand, Android has no such restrictions and you can change the setting as many times as you want on the same day.